Monday 26 January 2015

Character reviews and Ian O'Shea

Hey guys,


So I've decided that I'm going to do a book review series but with a twist! I'm going to be reviewing characters from the book and telling you guys what I love about each character; I'm going to do a review five characters per book/book series/film,
Now I will be analysing the character from the beginning to the end- so there will be spoilers, 
The first character that I will be talking to you guys about is Ian O'Shea.

Ian O'Shea is one of the main characters from the Host, by Stephanie Meyers the author of the hit series Twilight, now if you haven't read the host because you don't like Twilight, please give this book a chance because it's my favourite! Another thing you should know is I haven't seen the film! So this is purely based on the book. 
The whole plot of the book is that aliens have invaded the earth in the form of small worm like creatures that take over the mind and erase the human host. Wanderer the invading soul is given Melanie Stryder body to be her own but when she wakes up in her new body she finds that she can hear Melanie in the back of her head, with Mel filling her head with vision of her baby brother Jamie and her true love Jared, Wanderer sets out to find them. Once Wanderer finds Melanie's love and family a new problem arises, living with a group of 30 odd humans and being the only soul in the body they love, Wanderer is faced with falling in love, having to fight for survival, facing the emotional battle with having Melanie trapped in her head and fighting with her own thoughts.


So Ian is one of the rebel humans living in Jebs caves with his brother Kyle. Ian and his brother apparently look the same and even sound the same when Kyle isn't shouting. 
In the beginning of the book Ian is the one that actually tries to strangle Wanderer when Kyle and Brandt are fighting Jared, later on in the next few chapters you see Ian open up to the idea of having a soul living with them. When Wanderer and Jeb start working in the filed Ian joins them despite being wary around souls, soon Ian and Wanderer have a close friendship that for Ian and later Wanderer turns to love.
I love Ian because of how he overlooks the fact that wanderer Is an alien, a soul but learns to love and protect her, one of my favourite scenes in the book (so hard to find just one!) involving Ian, wanderer and Jared. In the book after Jamie is ill from his knife wound wanderer realises that she had 'lost' Melanie. Despite Ian being in love with wanderer he still finds Jared to come and kiss wanderer to get Mel back; I think this really shows how amazing Ian is- he puts Jareds love for Melanie over his owns feelings. Another scene I love is when Ian, Wanda, Wes and Lucy are playing football and Ian knows when Melanie and Wanda are communicating- I love this just because Ian realises when Melanie is talking and still talks to her and Wanda as two different people. 
Another thing I love about Ian is how even though he is faced with the problem of falling in love with his sworn enemy; he still loves wanderer in her new body at the end of the book. At the end of the book Ian tells wanderer that he held her in his hands and she was beautiful; I find this alone represents how amazing Ian is. Earlier in the book wanda and Ian are talking about how he would squash her if he saw her out of a body, even though she didn't ask him too he still knows how to make her feel worthy.
In the end of the book there is a scene between wanderer and Ian that really strucks a cord within me- in this scene Ian cracks when he finds out that Wanda is planning on giving Melanie back her body and leaving; Ian completely breaks and turns to a sobbing mess- I think this shows actually how vulnerable he is.
I love Ian and I would recommend reading the book to get the really feel for Ian's character. 
Ian has to be one of my favourite characters due to the fact that he just so lovely to wanda and is so loyal to his family. 



"It's not the face , but the expressions on it. It's not the voice but what you say . It's not how you look in that body, but the thing you do with it. You are beautiful"- Ian to Wanderer 

" I held you in my hands Wanderer, and you were beautiful" 

"Ian stood above me, his chest heaving with exertion and fury.for a second he turned away and put the door back in place with one swift wrench. And then he was glowering again. I took a deep breath and rolled up into my knees, holding my hands out, palms up, and wishing that some magic would appear in them. Something I could give him, something I could say. But my hands were empty.
" You.Are.Not.Leaving .Me." 
His eyes blazing-burning brighter than I'd ever seen them, blue fires.
"Ian," I whispered. "You have to see that...that I can't stay. You must see that." 
"No" he shouted at me.
I cringed back, and, abruptly Ian crumpled forward, falling to his knees, falling into me.
He buried his head in my stomach, and his arms locked around my waist. He was shaking, shaking hard, and loud, desperate sobs were breaking out of his chest.
" No,Ian,no"  I begged. This was so much worst than his anger. "Don't,please.Please, don't"
"Wands" he moaned.
" Ian,please. Don't feel this way. Don't. I'm so sorry. Please." 
I was crying too, shaking too, though that  might have been him shaking me.
"You can't leave me." 
"I have to, I have to," I sobbed. And then we cried wordlessly for a long time"

Thank you for reading this week! Please comment or tweet me and tell me what you love about Ian or another character in your favourite book; I'll be doing four more characters from this book and then maybe another book!! 

See you next week 

Belle xx

No comments:

Post a Comment