Wednesday 24 December 2014

It's Christmas Eve Oh God (Hobbit spoilers ahead) - Wednesday's Child

Greetings Y'all!

And I should probably also say Merry Christmas Eve too. What are you guys exited for? Personally I'm exited for my eight season box set of House MD, which I've been waiting patiently for for about two months now. I'm also getting converse, but when it's a toss up between shoes and watching eight seasons of this, I'm totally picking the TV show. (There's also a super cute Australian doctor but we'll move past that.)

So, what have you been up to in the past week? Get up to anything interesting? Why am I asking questions? This isn't a conversation this is a blog post??

Anyway, I'm gonna tell you what I've gotten up to in the past week. And lemme tell you something, friend... It's been heartbreaking. 

Let's do a timeskip from my Wednesday post to Friday, shall we? Let's do a timeskip all the way to when I watched the line of Durin literally get wiped out in the Battle of the Five Armies. Let's talk about the fact that they all deserved so much better dammit. 

Alright, to begin my rant, let's talk about this little angel. Fili was the first of Durin's line to die, as he was killed by Azgog. Now this is the first little thing I have a problem with. Personally, as someone who is yet to read the book (it's on my New Years list, don't worry) Fili's death wasn't too bad. Used as an example by Azgog and a way of enraging both Thorin and Kili to fight hand to hand, Fili's death was heartbreaking. But after a little bit of thought on it, if Fili wasn't going to be given more than five minutes screentime before this point, he should have at least been given a more prominent role in his death. 

When Azgog tosses him down in front of Kili to see, there's no mourning. Kili just draws his sword and rushes up the stairs like the adorable Dwarf/puppy he is, before promptly slashing his way through Orcs and meeting his own demise (more on that later.)

Does Fili not deserve any mourning? As the older brother, and the heir to the throne should Thorin die, should he not have had some form of mourning? I would have expected Kili to be shocked, maybe go to his brother and... Gee, I don't know, cry perhaps?? Instead he charged off to fight, and ended up getting stabbed in the chest. 

Now, next we move on to my adorable Dwarf/puppy. I literally thought I was going to cry at his death, except I have a little problem with it. Tauriel. 

Now don't get me wrong. Tauriel (who I'm going to name my awesome Elven princess) kicks ass. I love her by default as I've been a fan of Evangeline Lilly's for a long time, but I think the romance between her and Kili was a little overplayed. Kili entered his final fight against the Orcs fighting to avenge his brother, but he ended it by rushing to Tauriel's (a woman he'd known for less than a week by now) defense. The way I saw it, he died for Tauriel, and not for Fili. Now for me, that was wrong. Fili was his brother, and as much as he might have thought he loved Tauriel, he'd spoken to her maybe twice (one time she made a dick joke and the second time she saved his life so I think they're basically even). And up until this point, I had been so on board with the Kili/Tauriel romance. Just... In the midst of it I felt like the scene lost the point of why Kili had rushed into that fight to begin with. 

I will now redirect you to this little angel his brother.

Okay, long rant short, the Hobbit actually broke my soul. The line of Durin deserved so much better.

So that's me done for this week (BOTFA has basically been the only thing on my mind since Friday), and I'll see you next week. Stay safe this holiday, Merry Christmas, and remember:

I'm with you 'till the end of the line, folks ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment