Saturday 7 March 2015

How to wash your makeup brushes - Saturdays with Payton

Hey
It's Saturday again with Payton and this week I was stuck for ideas for this post, now I've done a couple of posts on organizing and so I thought 'what have I done this week that you lot could benefit from?' And then it came to me!
So from the title of the post you will have worked out that I am going to tell you how I wash my makeup brushes.

Quick disclaimer. By no means I am a makeup artist however I would say that I have done my research and read many things and watched many YouTube videos on how to wash your makeup brushes and now I have found something that works for me.

One last thing before I tell you what I do I quickly just want to tell you what brushes that I have because the type of brushes that you have and what they are made of can affect the effectiveness of this method if washing your brushes. So most of my brushes including the majority of my face and eye brushes are from Real Techniques by Sam and Nic Champman, I do have other face and eye brushes which are usually from the sets of makeup that you get.

So let's get started!

Things you will need:

  • The brushes that need washing
  • A bowl or plate
  • Paper towels 
  • A soft clean towel
  • Regular dish soap (I use fairy liquid)
  • Olive oil (I personally use extra virgin olive oil and this works perfectly for me)
  • Water (usually a running tap)
Method:
This method for washing your brushes is best done in a bathroom as you will need to use a sink.
I usually start by getting a couple of sheets of paper towels and my brushes, I start with the cleanest brush or the brushing use least and then I wipe the brush on the paper towels to start to get some of the build up of the makeup off the brush, now it doesn't matter if you don't get much off as this is going to make the rest of the process slightly easier. Once I have done the ' cleanest' brush I then do the same thing with wiping the brush with the next cleanest brush and so on, working my way up to the direst brush.

Next I take my bowl and my olive oil and my dish soap, I start by putting my dish soap into the bowl, now the amount that you put in will depend on how many brushes that you need to clean and how dirty they all are. I put a generous amount in around 3 or 4  squirts of dish soap into the bowl, I next put around 1 squirt of olive oil in the bowl, overall you want around a ratio of 1 part olive oil to 3 parts dish soap.

Next I take my cleanest brush and I dip the brush slightly under water for a second and then into water  into the mixture that has just been made, only dip the hair which has makeup on,
Quick Warning:if the mixture along with water get into the top of the brush where the hairs are all glued, then the mixture and the water will make the glue weak and the hairs may fall out.
Anyway, once the brush has the mixture on it then move it around against your hand to foam up the mixture, don't put a lot of pressure onto the brush, only put the same amount of pressure on the brush that you would do when you put makeup on your face.
If the foam created from the brush is coming out the color of the makeup used on that brush, I give the brush a rinse under the tap, making sure not to get all of the hair on the top of the brush wet, and then I re dip the brush into the mixture and do the steps above again until the color of the foam is a very light color.

I then place the brush on its side on a cabinet which has a paper towel on it and, I then repeat the method above for each of my brushes.
Once all of the brushes have been put into the mixture, I then rinse them one by one, starting with the brush that I put into the mixture first. I rinse the brush off until all of the soap has gone.

I then get my towel and fold that a couple of times so it is slightly bigger than the size of a paper towel, I then lay out my paper towel on top of my normal towel and I place the brushes on top of then all spread out. I place all of this in a hot room to dry , however I have found if they are in a room with a dehumidifier, then the brushes dry the quickest.

And that is it, how to wash your makeup brushes! I hope that you like the method that I use to wash my makeup brushes, comment below if you have tried this method or the method that you use to wash your makeup brushes. I would like to say thank you for sticking with today's long post!

See you next Saturday!
~Payton <3

No comments:

Post a Comment