Wednesday 20 May 2015

Let's Talk About: Eurovision 2015


Hello Earthlings, how goes it?

It's Eurovision this weekend. This year it will be held in Austria.

Eurovision is a big old singing contest between all the countries in Europe. This year is the 60th anniversary. Votes are cast in each country by a point system. Voting is done via everyone in the country using TV or SMS voting to decide which song wins your countries 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 points. 5 members of  Jury from your country also vote.

Eurovision is a family thing for me. I've always associated it with cramming onto the sofa in the front room to watch. I thought I would share my views on this years song entries (Ones that have been released so far, as the last semi-finals are tomorrow night). 

(Video used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGH_HzsNcPM ) Watching along with my commentary is recommend as it will help you to understand the comments about the videos themselves. 

F.Y.R Macedonia - Daniel Kajmakoski with Lisja Esenski

Firstly, I didn't actually know this was a country. Secondly, he's singing in his own language which is always a disappointment as I'd quite like to understand the song because it sounds quite catchy. 

Malta - Amber with Warrior

Blimey. She has one powerful voice! It's also in English! Wonderful!! I would probably count on this one being a high ranking contender on Saturday.

The Netherlands - Trijntje Oosterhuis with Walk Along

Another female with a powerful voice and a powerful song and in English - oh I just love it when they do that. It looks as though she has won The Netherlands version of The Voice or performed on it or something? I'm not entirely sure.

Belarus - Uzari & Maimuna with Time

I love this video! It's very effective and the guy isn't too bad looking either. I'm looking forward to how they stage this one on the night as in the video the girl is in an hour glass that is filling up, playing the violin, it would be really cool if they could do something like that on stage!

Georgia - Nina Sublatti with Warrior

Hang on... that's the same song name as Malta? This isn't going to cause problems is it? I do like Nina's makeup and hair in the video though and it has a sort of underlying chinese theme too it, kind of like Mulan. Good lyrics too 'I've been an angel for too long'

France - Lisa Angell with Nóubliez pas

Last year, France entered with a song about Moustaches so, this is an improvement, although, not much of one... I probably don't like it because again, despite achieving a grade C in French and GCSE, I am unable to understand the lyrics and with a song, the lyrics are one of the most important things for me. Lisa does have a fantastic voice though!

Switzerland - Melanie Rene with Time To Shine

This has a secret woman empowerment, warrior theme too it too, I like it! It's in English as well. Melanie is also very pretty and has fantastic voice. There is a horse in this video so someone please, please, please allow a horse on the stage Saturday? Pretty please?

Cyprus - Giannis Karagiannis with One Thing I Should have Done

English? yup. It sounds really sweet as well, sort of a love song I imagine. The guy singing it has a little waist coat on bless him.

Denmark - Anti Social Media with The Way You Are

Thumbs up for the awesome band name! Oh my god I love this a lot. It's quite old school and I like that. Denmark, I think you've got a good one here!

Iceland - Maria Olafsdottir with Unbroken

One, she can sing. Two, her surname has Olaf in it so she wins at life. Three, it's really catchy and sounds very suitable for Eurovision. I think this could also be a high ranking song this year.

Serbia - Bojana Stamenov with Ceo Svet Je Moj

I can't understand a word of this but this woman has a wonderful voice. She's also a plus-sized lady which, thank you Serbia for putting a talented plus-sized woman in this competition. Bojana is wearing a lovely colourful dress in this clip and I'm excited to see what she will wear on Saturday.

Italy - Il Volo with Grande Amore

If my tiny knowledge of Italian is correct, the title means 'big love' or 'love big', right? The video is showing two people making a pottery thing, kind of like in ghost except a real guy rather than a ghost one, there's a guy being a gentle man helping a woman up from the floor and oh my god it's Spiderman. Oh, Il Volo aren't that bad looking either, the one on the far right looks like Ricky Dillion's doppelganger though. The song isn't in English but, with a language as beautiful as Italian - does it need to be? 

Lithunaia - Monika Linkyte and Viadas Baumil with This Time

Oh, okay, they are kissing and the clip just started. I like the song though, very bouncy, English. Oh gosh, I really like it. This is think could be a high contender also.

Estonia - Elina Born and Stig Rasta with Goodbye to Yesterday

Another duet! Yay! This clip is in black and white and it looks very 50's and I also like the song, it's vintage (I'm not great at describing music if you can't tell by now). 

Lativa - Aminata with Love Injected

Yes Lativa! This is good! The lead singer has yet again, a very powerful voice and this song almost has a slight rocky tone to it which I love. Also, another song in English.

Ireland - Molly Sterling with Playing With Numbers

Well done Ireland, you brought someone else from your country other than Jedward - finally. It's a love song and I think I might have heard it on the radio before once or twice? I recognise it.

Slovenia - Maraaya with Here For You

English. Love her hair! Her voice sounds a little bit like Paloma Faith at times which I also love and her dress is beautiful. Not sure why she is wearing the headphones though? Sorry Maraaya, hunnie, they don't go with your dress.

Finland - Pertti Kuikan Nimipalvat with Aina Mun Pitaa

This is rock music. 100% Finnish rock music, sung by an old guy group. The one singing seems to be rocking back and forward. I am dying to see how this group do on stage on Saturday. (Update: Apparently, they have been knocked out of the competition so they won't be performing at the final

Moldova - Eduard Romanyuta with I Want Your Love

nope nope nope nope. I am upset with this country as they did not put Kitty Brucknell with Remix through to sing for them. They put a guy who looks like his mum dressed him in the 80's in instead. He also needs a haircut and I must point out he is acting miming the words.

Hungary - Boggie with Wars For Nothing

Aw, this is quite a sad song. It's good though. There five in Boggie - three girls and two guys and they all sing so well together.

Spain - Edurne with Amanecer

Hola Spain! Even though there is no English in this song, like Italian, this language is beautiful to sing in without the English language. There is a tiger in the video, and a volcano so I'm not too sure what's going on there.

Albania - Elhaida Dani with I'm Alive

So many women with such powerful voices this year, making so many good contenders. The video is a bit strange, everyone is crying one tear. It's a catchy song though and gets you dancing.

Greece - Maria-Eleni Kyriacou with One Last Breath 

There's confetti and a red dress oh, very dramatic. This is a good song Greece. Very powerful, I think I'd say it was a strong contender also.

Germany - Ann Sophie with Black Smoke

Another black and white thing going on here. Another female singer with an amazing voice that could literally blow you away if used at the correct moment. Not sure if I'm liking the tassels on her earrings and blazer though. The earring look like Pac-man gone wrong.

United Kingdom - Electro Velvet with Still In Love With You 

What did I just watch? Hello, own country, how you doing. This isn't too bad if I'm honest, compared to other years (I'm looking at you Engelbert Humapdink and Scooch). There's a lot of UV paint in the video but, the song is Jazzy! It's good, I like it, except, I don't think, that when I look at this compared to other entries, that this will rank high. 

Portugal - Leonor Andrade with Ha um mar que nos separa

Leonor looks scary and like she's about to eat the microphone in this video. Also, her hair needs brushing but, vocal wise, she isn't too bad. It would be great if maybe she was singing in English, I'd love to understand the words she is singing as the song sounds great!

Romania - Voltaj with De la capat

This is a sweet song and the video is even sweeter. It's about children and how they are effected by their parents going away to work abroad to make a better life for their children. The full version of this video effected me and actually brought a tear to my eye. It's beautiful.

Czech Republic - Marta Jandova and Vaclav Noid Barta with Hope Never Dies

This is a good song and video actually. They guy has a great voice and I really like it. Their voices work really well with each other.

Poland - Monika Kuszynska with In The Name Of Love 

There are old photos flashing across my screen which I assume they are pictures of the singer, I'm not sure. I don't particularly like this song that much, not sure why, it just didn't click for me. Perhaps it will sit better in my mind when performed on stage?

Belgium - Loic Nottet with Rhythm Inside

I like this. The tune is catchy, bouncy and dancable. Oh my gosh the video ahs some kind of steampunk element and the guy is quite attractive. There a lot of red paint and I'm a bit confused.

Armenia - Genealogy with Face The Shadow

I like this! I wanted it to be good from the title and it did not disappoint. This is another one that I think could be a high contender.

Israel - Nadav Guedj with Golden Boy 

This just reminds me of being on holiday in Northern Cyprus and being sat in a restaurant with Turkish music playing and for that reason I love it. I'm looking forward to seeing this one on the stage too. 

Austria - The Makemakers  with I Am Yours

Whoever you are, I'm not sure you can beat Conchita. Oh wait, never mind. I like this, the song and the people singing it. Perhaps you're not a bad replacement after all.

Sweden - Mans Zelmerlow with Heros

I'm not sure if I like this...

Norway - Morland and Debrah Scarlett with A monster like me

I like this. The video has lot of throwing things - food and flowers etc. Their voices work well together as well which makes the song even better. It's one of the slower songs in the competition.

Azerbaijan - Elnur Huseynov with Hour Of The Wolf

I can never say this country's name, not sure why, it take me a few attempts or one attempt at saying it rather slowly. Well... holy cheese balls this guy can sing! One of the top contenders for the top ten this year. I called it. Possibly 1st place worthy.

San Marino - Anita Simoncini and Michele Perniola with Chain Of Lights

I did not know San Marino was in Europe (B grade GCSE Geography student here guys). That being said, I don't even like this song. Sorry San Marino

Russia  - Polina Gagarina with A Million Voices

This sounds familiar... The woman singing it looks familiar too. This song I think could be another high contender in this year's Eurovision. 

Australia - Guy Sebastian with Tonight Again

Okay so I had to check that I wasn't going crazy when I saw this because, even though I may be bad at knowing where places are, I do know that Australia is 100% not in Europe. I had to ask my mum for conformation and she said that a couple of years ago they got aloud entry into the show. They have a good song though.

Montenegro - KNEZ with Adio


Oh. It's a country (Oh dear) I just thought I was a bar in my dad's village in Northern Cyprus. I got told it translates as black mountains. Anywhoo, I don't like the song, sorry Montenegro.

Right, now that we have cleared that up, I'm off to watch my weekly dose of Newzoids and then, I'm going to watch the newest addition of Dil (DanAndPhilGames).

Until Next Time - Allons-y!
Lollie xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment